16 Jan 2011

Day 16 - Your Views on Music.

Sometimes I've been harsh about music and other times liberal. I'm going to try to be somewhere in the middle. Dara O'Briain once said in one of his stand ups that music is just noises in your ears, it doesn't matter about different tastes. In a sense that is true. However there is more to music. There are miraculous breakthroughs which change the world and crap on a loop thats a copy of about 200 songs and took 20 minutes to make. I believe the best time for music was my parents era. They grew around so many different kinda sounds evolving, shocking, different. I wish I was apart of that wave.

I was brought up on Capital Gold radio. I'm not sure what the equivalent is now. But that is what my mum always played in the car. Our old old silver car. I can't even remember what age I was when we got rid of it, maybe 7? So you can see the older classics, specially Motown and disco, are imprinted into my brain from an early age. I have a real love of classic 70s rock and punk rock from my dad. Weirdly though he hardly plays it so although it sorta came from him I'm still not sure how. Though there are bands which I love that my Dad doesn't as well. I also really love 80s music. All of it. Electro, pop, rock. rap, hip hop. I also like 90s as that was my childhood.

Personally I don't think music from the noughties is anything to rave about. Of course there is good music. There's loads of bands I love which are current such as Funeral for a Friend, The Feeling, Alphabeat and pop artists such as Will Young. I guess it's hard to reproduce music from that era as it was just so new, songs are going to sound similar, its inevitable. I do think though that some music today really doesn't cut it and I don't understand how people rave about it. I understand completely why they like it. Because it's catchy, but catchy doesn't mean its good. They play on stuff that'll stay in your heard. There are loadsa songs that I know all the words too that I don't like and wouldn't personally listen to but just get bombarded with it forever.

This sounds like I don't like modern music. Most of the music in my iTunes is modern. I do like it obv otherwise it wouldn't be there. Some of its great, I just think, even though some of its as good, some even better than older music, it's just the progression you know.

And also I like music I can dance too. But often in clubs I don't know what they're playing :/

Talent also. People that don't have talent annoy the Fuck outta me. You're just giving money to a nobody. Anyone could be doing what they're doing. If they don't sound live like they do on the record they're fakes. I really liked Katy Perry until I heard her sing live. Like two different people. I'm annoyed at myself though that she's still on my iTunes 'cos her songs are jus' stuck in my head now. Although even I knew at the time they weren't that special.

The people in music at present I give the most credit to is rappers. People criticise them sometimes but you try rapping. The lyrics actually mean stuff as well. I guess if anything is developing now its rap and club music. They're still evolving I think 'cos they've both only really been going for about 20 years.

Sorry I've totally rambled forever and forgot my point.

I guess from all this I'm trying to say that if you know its trashy music like at least you know. Jus' don't buy their music, steal it :)

Oh and check out foreign music, doesn't matter you don't know what they're saying :)

So here's a list of music genres in my iPod. I do actually like everything. (except like most new indie, its kinda all the same and annoying, and screamo like throughout the whole thing):

Acid Jazz
Acoustic
Alternative & Punk
Alternative
Alternative Rock
Ballad
Big Band
Black Metal
Blues
BritPop
Celtic Rock
Christmas
Classic Rock
Classical
Club
Comedy
Comedy Rap
Country
Crossover
Dance
Dance Hall
Dance Pop
Disco
Drum & Bass
Easy Listening
Electronic
Electronica
Emo
Folk
Funk
Garage
General Alternative
Hard Rock
Heavy Rock
Hip Hop
Hip Hop/Rap
Holiday
House
Indie
Industrial/Artistic
Jazz
K-Pop
Latin
Metal
Metalcore
Militia
Misc
Nice
Norwegian Rock
Nu Metal
Other
Pop
Pop Punk
Pop Rock
Pop Folk
Post-hardcore
Progressive Rock
Punk
Punk Rock
R&B
Rap
Rap & Hip Hop
Reggae
Rock
Rock 'n' Roll
Ska
Soul
Soul & R&B
Soundtrack
Swing
Techno
Trance
Trip Hop
Unknown
World

Admittedly I need to sort out my iTunes genre names lol but you get the idea

'cos this was the first classic to come up on my iTunes :)



and this which I posted a while ago but proves my point

1 comment:

  1. This was really interesting
    I do agree that though music today is good, "catchy" and sometimes there's genuinely a good song or two, I think that there hasn't been anything recently that will stand the test of time, and to me that's the mark of good music.
    The fact that we still listen to the Beatles or Michael Jackson speaks volumes of the music they made, I can't see anybody in 50 years time still listening to Ke$ha... just saying

    ReplyDelete